Angel Food cake, or Angel cake, is a type of sponge cake originated in the United States that first became popular in the late 19th century. It is so named because of its airy lightness that was said to be the “food of the angels”.
This is my first attempt, which came out quiet well, hope you all enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Granulated sugar – ½ cup
All-purpose flour – ½ cup
Egg whites – 6 large
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Almond extract – 1 tsp
Confectionery sugar (powdered sugar) – ½ cup + 2 tbsp
Salt – ¼ tsp
Maraschino cherries – 10 fruits
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix confectionery sugar with the flour and sift the mixture for 3 times and set aside in a small bowl.
- Separate the egg whites without any trace of the yolk.
- Now beat the egg whites with the vanilla extract, almond extract and salt in a large bowl, using a hand mixer on medium speed, until it gets foamy.
- Add the remaining granulated sugar slowly to the beating egg white mixture until it gets soft & shiny.
- Now add the flour mixture, half at a time, folding in with a spatula until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the ungreased loaf pan. Bake to 35 – 40 minutes.
- Allow the baking pan to cool at least for 30 minutes. Remove the cake by sliding the knife around the edges.
- Serve and enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Sifting helps to aerate and lighten the flour.
- Egg white mixture should be in the floating meringue stage (not to be stiffen).
- In order to check the cake – using toothpick, poke in the middle of the cake, It should come out clean.
- Garnish with any type of fruits like berries, citrus fruits etc., / whipping cream / sour cream.
- Surprisingly, those who are weight conscious, this is the dessert with full of protein and low calories !! Per serving 28g – 72 calories; 1.6g of proteins.