Bisi – bella bhaath / Sambhar rice one of the most famous & healthy recipe in South India. This is nothing but the combination spice masala, mixed vegetables, rice & lentils. And this recipe is, one of my all time favorite vegetarian dish, Hope you all enjoy it!!!!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Soaking Time: 30 minutes
Recipes Cuisine: South India
Cooking Time: 20 – 25 minutes
Long grain rice – 280 gms (2/3 + ½ cup)
Thoor dal – 160 gms (2/3 cup)
Mixed vegetables (carrot, beans, peas, sweet corn) – 240 gms (1 cup)
Brinjal / egg plant – 2 nos. (chopped)
Capsicum – 1 (chopped)
Potato – 1 ( chopped)
Bisi- bella bhaath powder – 2 tbsp (http://wp.me/p42nDE-gt)
Salt to taste
Oil – 3 tsp
Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
Tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Asafoetida / hing – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin / Jeera – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 strand
Ginger – 1 small piece (finely chopped)
Garlic – 5 cloves (Chopped finely)
Green chili – 3 nos (chopped)
Ghee / Clarified butter – 1tbsp
Cashew nuts – 1 tbsp
Cilantro handful chopped
- Soak the rice and thoor dal for 30 minutes in a separate bowl and keep aside.
- Keep the deep vessel pan / pressure cooker on low heat and add oil to it.
- Once the oil gets hot, splutter the mustard seeds, add cumin, chopped onion, hing, turmeric powder, ginger, garlic, green chili and curry leaves.
- Now add all the vegetables, soaked rice & dal to the pan and saute it for 2 minutes.
- After that add generous amount of water and bring to boil.
- Once its gets start to boil, add the chopped tomatoes, bisi – bella bhaath powder and salt to taste.
- Cover it with tight lid cook until it get mashed / pressure cook for 4 -5 whistle.
- In a separate pan, add ghee and heat it, now add broken cashew nuts until it turns brown.
- Now open the the lid, add the hot ghee, chasew nuts and handful of cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot & enjoy it with pappad, pickle, raita, spicy veg / non veg curries.