Preparation Time : 15 mins
Cooking Time : 30 mins
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
For Marinating Fish ;
Cat fish – 6 pieces(skin removed)
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Salt as per required
For Dry Roast & Grind into paste ;
Dry Coconut – 2 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
Groundnuts – 1tbsp
Sesame seeds – 1 ½ tbsp
For Grinding ;
Red onion (large) – 1 nos
Tomato (large) – 1 nos
Garlic – 6 nos
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds / jeera – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 3 – 4 leaves
Onion – 1 (chopped finely)
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Green chilies – 6 nos (small)
Garlic – 6-7 nos (chopped)
Tamarind – lemon size (soaked in water & extracted)
coriander leaves – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Dry roast the fenugreek seeds, dry coconut, sesame seeds, groundnuts, till the raw flavor goes off and grind it into paste by adding little amount of water and keep it aside.
- Ground the ingredients onion, tomato, garlic and keep aside.
- Keep the pan on low flame, add 2 tablespoon of oil and start to tempering with mustard, cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- After that add finely chopped onions, garlic, green chilies & sauté it for 2- 3 minutes.
- And then add all the spices like turmeric, red chili, coriander powder and sauté until the raw flavor goes off.
- Now add the grounded onion, tomato & garlic paste, tamarind extract, dry roasted paste and add enough water to boil it for 15 more minutes on high flame till the raw smell goes off.
- After that add washed & marinated fish , cover with lid and cook it for 10 more minutes and switched off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander, mint and curry leaves.
- Serve it hot and enjoy!!!
To get rid of fishy smell wash the fish in the fresh cold water and add some turmeric powder and keep it in fridge for 5 minutes, before cooking by using tissue paper remove the moisture from the fish, and add little oil to the pan to fry the fish for a minute and remove the skin (depends on the type of the fish).