After a long time, I am posting one of my favorite recipe. Hope you all enjoy this recipe by following my step by step procedure. I know everyone of us, longing to make it perfect, don’t worry if it fails ; just try it one more time, because this is my third attempt. So, finally I made it into success. Here is the recipe Hydrabadi Chicken Dum Biriyani !!! I referred & learned this recipes from one of by favourite blogger http://www.manusmenu.com/hyderabadi-chicken-biryani
This biriyani is the special one (king of biriyani), which is easy to prepare on one pot. The difference is, where the raw poultry / meat blend with all spices & sourness of thickened yogurt, placed at bottom of the large pot and layered with half cooked rice, saffron milk – which gives great aroma & bright yellow color (appetizing to our eyes), hand full mint & cilantro leaves and fried onions makes the dish more exquisite.
Marination Time : 30 minutes / overnight
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Recipes Cuisine : South India
Chicken (thighs) – 500gms
Oil – 2 tbsp
Bay leaves – 2
Cinnamon – 1 large stick
Cardamom – 5 nos (crushed)
Star anise – 2 nos
Black pepper – ½ tsp (crushed)
Cloves – 5 nos
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Mace / javintri powder – ½ tsp
Nutmeg powder – ½ tsp
Bay leaves – 2 nos
Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
Shahi jeera – 1 tsp
Anise seeds – 1 tsp
Fried onion – 2 tbsp ( )
Curd / yogurt – 1 cup (thick)
Salt – 2 tsp
Unsalted butter – 1 tbsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Ginger – garlic paste:
- Ginger – 1 large pieces
- Garlic – 7 cloves
- Green chilies – 2
- Cilantro – 3 strand
Basmathi Rice – 500 gms
Salt – ½ tsp
Shahi jeera – ½ tsp
sombu / anise seed – ½ tsp
Cardamom – 2 nos
Cinnamon – 1 small stick
Cloves – 2 nos
Saffron – pinch (mixed in milk)
Cilantro & mint leaves – handful
Fried onions – ½ cup (homemade)
- First clean the chicken & remove the moisture by using paper towel.
- Start to mix the all spices, yogurt / curd, fried onions, salt & oil in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken to the mixture and marinate it for atleast 1 hour / overnight in the refrigerator.
- Soak the basmathi rice for 30 minutes with enough water.
- Boil the water in a large pot, add shahi jeera, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon & salt.
- Now drain the water from the soaked rice & add to the boiling water.
- Turn off the flame, when the rice half cooked ; drain water & wash the rice in the cool water for a minute (prevents rice from over cooking)
Layering the Dum Biriyani:
- In a heavy bottom pan / nonstick, first arrange the marinated chicken & add cubed butter on it.
- Now layer with the half cooked rice, pour saffron mixture over the top.
- Final layer with handful of cilantro & mint leaves, fried onions and cover it with tight lid.
- Cook it on high flame for first 10 minutes.
- After that cook it on dum, for another 15 – 20 minutes on very low flame.
- Serve it hot & enjoy with onion raitha & brinjal curry.
- For dum biriyani use heavy bottomed utensil / nonstick.
- Don’t worry if you are not having tight lid, cover the pan with news paper / muslin cloth & close it with lid [or] keep heavy vessel over top of the lid (this helps for perfect dum, without releasing pressure).