Red spicy fish curry is one of the most famous recipe in Kerala cuisines. This curry really plays with the palate & enhance the taste to the next level. Mostly the curry made with homemade red chili paste / red chili powder to give the bright red colour. The most important ingredient to make this fish curry is “Kudam puli” or Garcinia cambogia. Kudam puli is traditionally used in fish curries, to give tangy taste and enhance its flavour, not only for taste and also having many health benefits.
Many research shown that “Garcinia cambogia”, giving best result in weight management. Kudam puli is mostly available in Asian / Srilankan shops.
Preparation Time : 15 mins
Cooking Time : 45 mins
Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Cat fish – 6 pieces (skin removed)
Red onion (large) – 1 no.
Shallots / small onions – 3 large (cut it into quarter)
Tomato (large) – 1 no. (chopped finely)
Green chilies – 3 nos.
Garlic – 6 nos. (roughly chopped)
Ginger – 1 tbsp finely chopped
Kudum puli – 3 pieces (soaked in hot water)
Salt as per required
Mix it into Paste / Spice paste:
Homemade red chili paste – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Lemon juice / distilled vinegar – 1 tbsp
Water as required
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds / jeera – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 3 – 4 leaves
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves / cilantro- 1/4 cup (chopped)
Mint leaves – 1 spring
- In a small bowl, soak the kodumpuli in hot water & keep aside.
- Clean the fish with turmeric & remove the moisture using paper towel.
- In the pan, add 2 tablespoon of oil, add the washed fish, fry it on both side for a minute & remove the excess fat by using paper towel.
- On the same pan, start to tempering with mustard, cumin, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- After that add finely chopped onions, garlic, ginger, green chilies & saute it for 2- 3 minutes.
- And then add the spice paste & saute until the raw flavor goes off.
- Now add the tomato & saute until mushy.
- Now add the soaked kodumpuli with juice, add enough water to boil it for 20 more minutes on high flame till the raw smell goes off.
- After that add the fried fish and Sim it for 10 more minutes and switched off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander, mint and curry leaves.
- Serve it hot and enjoy!!!
To get rid of fishy smell wash the fish in the fresh cold water and add some turmeric powder and keep it in fridge for 5 minutes, before cooking by using tissue paper remove the moisture from the fish, and add little oil to the pan to fry the fish for a minute and remove the skin (depends on the type of fish).