Ghee rice is one of the famous vegan recipe in India. It’s the simple recipe to prepare, this goes well with spicy curries both vegetarian & non vegetarian. Ghee is the important ingredient in this recipe, which gives nice flavor & taste to the rice. I fried cashew & dry grapes / raisins in ghee and finally added to the rice. The cashew gives crunchy and the raisins give the sweetness to the dish. I served with chicken curry & onion raita !! Bon Appetite !!!
Preparation Time : 15 minutes Marination Time : 30 minutes Soaking Time time : 30 minutes Cooking Time : 30 minutes Ingredients: Basmathi Rice – 1 1/2 cups ( 360 gms) Oil – 1 tbsp Ghee/ clarified butter – 1 tbsp Ginger – garlic paste – 1tbsp Onion – 1 medium Green chili – 5 (cut it into splits) Coconut milk – 1/2 cup Salt to taste Whole gram masala: Bay leaves – 1 Cinnamon – 1 sticks Cardamom – 5 nos. Cloves – 6 nos. Shahi jeera – 1 tsp Fennel seeds – 1 tsp Salt to taste Garnish: Cilantro & mint leaves – handful Cashew – 1 tbsp Dry grapes – 1 tbsp
- Soak the basmathi rice for 30 minutes and keep aside.
- Now keep the pan or pressure cooker, add 1 tbsp of oil, ghee & heat it on low flame.
- Add chasew & raisins fry it & keep aside.
- On the same pan, add the bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, shahi jeera, fennel seeds and saute for a minute.
- After that add thinly sliced onion & cook until its turns into slightly golden brown, now add the ginger garlic paste and saute it until the raw flavor goes off.
- Now add coconut milk & water to the mixture, the ratio between 1:2 (for 1 cup rice add 2 cups water).
- Once it gets boiled, add basmathi rice to it.
- Mix it slowly with the ladle and cook it for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Once the three fourth of water gets evaporated, now keep it on very low flame and cover it with the tight lid for 15 more minutes.
- Before closing the lid, add the finely chopped cilantro & mint.
- After that, close with tight lid & put it on low flame for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and slowly mix the rice with flat ladle, once the rice get cooked nicely.
- Finally garnish with fried cashew & raisines.
- Serve it hot and enjoy it with onion raita, vegan curries / non vegetarian curries etc.