Gulab jamun is the cheese-base traditional dessert in Indian Cuisine. It is always special dish for diwali feast in my home. To make the things easier, one can buy commercially available instant gulab jamun mix (available in Asian market). In scratch, jamuns will prepare by using sweetless khoya / khova. I never made jamuns before, this is my first attempts using milk / mava powder. It is really easy & simple dessert recipe. Garnish the jamuns with almonds & pistachio.
Milk powder – 1 cup
Maida / All purpose flour – ¼ cup
Baking powder – ½ tsp
unsalted butter- 1 tbsp (optional)
Water – ¼ cup (as required for dough)
Salt – ¼ tsp
Sugar – 1 cup
Water – 1 ½ cup
cardamom powder – 1 tsp
Rose water essence – 1 tsp
Oil for deep frying
Making Dough & Dumblings:
Frying & Soaking:
- In a small bowl, add milk powder, maida, salt, butter, baking powder & knead soft dough.
- Make small balls from dough (don’t press too much).
- Add sugar, essence and cardamom in water and boil till it become ½ thread sugar syrup.
- Heat oil in a pan on low flame.
- Fry each ball in it, till it becomes brown in color.
- Now soak the fried Gulab Jamun in sugar syrup & cook for 3-5 minutes on very low flame.
- Switch off the flame, cover it & keep it for at least for 60 minutes or more than 2 hours.
- Serve it chil & enjoy topping with ice cream !!.
- Rest the dough for at least 10 minutes.
- Always don’t over crowd, while frying.
- While frying, always keep the flame on medium low.
- Add water slowly as required for dough.