Sambar is a lentil based vegetable stew or chowder based on a broth made with tamarind. It is most popular dish South Indian and Sri Lankan Tamil cuisines. This recipe have adapted in each to its taste and environment. Sambar is made either exclusively with one of these vegetables or a combination of them – okra, moringa (drumstick), carrot,radish, pumpkin, potatoes, tomatoes, brinjal(eggplant), whole or halved shallots or onions; also like green leafy vegetables, like drumstick leaves, spinach etc., Specially, This recipe is adapted from my amma (mom).
Radish – 1 no. (chopped)
Salt to taste
Tamarind extract – small size (soak in warm water)
Toor dal – ½ cup
Fenugreek – 1 tsp
Cumin / jeera – 1 tsp
Onion – 1no. Chopped
Tomato – 1no. Chopped
Green chilies – 3 nos.
Garlic – 5-7 cloves
Anise seeds / sombu – 1 tsp (optional)
Oil – 3 tsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Jeera / cumin – 1 tsp
Onion – 1 no. finely chopped
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 ½ tsp
Jeera powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 strand
- First, pressure cook all the ingredients given above the list by adding 1 ½ – 2 cups of water.
- Dry roast the radish & keep aside (helps to remove the moisture & cook fast).
- Heat the oil on medium flame, splutter the mustard, add cumin, curry leaves, onion & saute it for 3 minutes.
- Now add turmeric, red chili powder, coriander, jeera powder, add little water & cook until raw flavor goes off (adding water helps, not to burn the spices).
- After that add radish, ½ cup of water & cook it for 5-8 minutes.
- Once the pressure release, mash the dhal.
- Now add the tempered vegetable mixture to the dal & cook it for another 10- 15 minutes.
- Once the sambar done, garnish it with cilantro.
- Serve hot & enjoy it with steamed rice, idly,dosa,paratha etc.,