Tomato rice is one of my favorite recipe. It is most popular & simple rice dish in South India. This is a perfect comfort & best take out food. It taste like tangy & spicy.
If you are not interested to add rice, don’t worry this tomato sauce goes well with chapathi, bread, idly, dosa and or crepes etc.,
Ripen tomatoes – 2 large chopped
Red Onion – 1 no.
Shallots – 2 large finely sliced
Ginger – 1/2 tsp finely chopped
Garlic cloves – 7-10 nos. large chopped
Green chilies – 3-5 nos. as required
Hing / asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Cooked rice – 1 cup
Salt as required.
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- First cook the rice, make it cool & keep aside.
- Heat oil in kadai & start to tempering with mustard, cumin & curry leaves.
- Now add the chopped garlic cloves, giner, green chilies and saute it for 30 seconds.
- Add sliced onions, shallots & cook it until soften.
- Now add the turmeric, hing & saute it for a minute.
- Add the juicy tomatoes, salt & cook until the tomatoes get mushy.
- Cook the mixture for 3- 5 minutes or until oil floats on top.
- Finely garnish with cilantro.
- Now switch off the flame, add the cooked rice & mix it throughly.
- Serve the tomato rice with onion raith / potato fry / pappad.