Tomato pappu is one of the mouth watering recipe in South Part of India. This is one of my favorite too. I love the tanginess & sweet of the tomatoes. This is really a very simple & easy dish, perfectly goes well with pappadam (Rice vadam) or pickles (Tomato pickle, Gongura pickle, Mint pickle, Andra style tomato pickles, Brinjal/ eggplant pickle, Lemon pickle).
Tomatoes – 2 nos. (big wine tomatoes) roughly chopped
Toor dal – 1/2 cup
Onions – 1 no. roughly chopped
Green chilies – 3 -4 nos.
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin / jeera – 1 tsp
urad dal – 1 tsp
Tomato – 1 nos chopped
Turmeric – 1 tsp
Hing / asafoetida – a pinch
- In a pressure cooker, add toor dal, onion, tomatoes, jeera, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, green chilies, add 1 1/2 cup water & cook the dal mixture on medium flame for 2 -4 whistle (depends on pressure cooker).
- Once the pressure released, opened the cover, add salt & mix it thoroughly.
- Now keep seasoning kadai on very low flame, add oil, splutter mustard seeds, jeera, urad dal & hing.
- And then add finely chopped tomatoes, turmeric & cook it until mushy.
- Now add the tempered mixture to the dal & mix it well.
- Cook the dal mixture for 5 more minutes & garnish with cilantro.
- Serve it hot & enjoy with cooked rice and pappad / pickle.